Scanning Electron Microscope (S.E.M.) Laboratory
The Scanning Electron Microscope (S.E.M.) Laboratory of the Earth Sciences Department at Sapienza University of Rome provides technical and scientific support to University departments, research institutions, private and public companies.
The laboratory makes the instrumentation available also for educational and tutorial purposes.
The laboratory works by appointment only. Please contact Technical Responsible.
Prof. Letizia Di Bella, Mr. Marco Albano
The laboratory is provided with a Scanning Electron Microscope FEI Quanta 400 equipped with a Microanalysis system EDAX Genesis , which is a powerful tool for different application fields:
- Micropaleontology – compositional and ultrastructural analysis of microfossils.
- Mineralogy – structural, morphological and chemical analysis of minerals.
- Cultural Heritage – archeological arctifacts (potteries and glasses)
- Environment – analysis of dispersed areosols and asbestos of natural and anthropogenic origin.
- Botany – morphology of vegetables (algae, bacteria and fungi)